Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Am I What I Eat?

This is going to be a lame post about foods I like.

    Favorite food:
  • Popcorn, preferably with Parmesan cheese and lots of salt, but not butter
  • Rhubarb pie (or if I'm sharing with tart wimps, rhubarb strawberry pie), crust by Pillsbury
  • Vegetarian sushi (includes wasabi, pickled ginger, and a little tamari)
  • Corn on the cob (swimming in real butter and salt)
  • Maple syrup (out of a tree, not a corn field)
  • Potato chips (reduced fat but NOT baked)
  • Dill pickles and dill pickle relish
  • Cafeteria chili with crushed Nacho Doritos (without the latter, the former is inedible)

    When I eat in "slow food" restaurants, I usually order something different each time; not so with fast food:
  • Penn Station: grilled artichoke with mushrooms
  • BK: cheeseburger, fries, Diet Coke off the "value menu"
  • McDonalds: Big Mac
  • Taco Bell: taco salad (it's the bowl)

  • If I'm in the mood for ribs, we go to O'Charley's.
  • For steak, it's Applebee's (good for the price)
  • The best local Mexican is Cebolla's.
  • The best Italian is Biaggi's but the local Casa's is closer and cheaper
  • Chinese from the local Mandarin but if P.F. Chang's comes to town, they will be better but also more expensive

    When it comes to alcohol, I try to stay in context:
  • Dos Equis with Mexican
  • Tsing Tao with Chinese
  • Peroni with Italian
  • Martinis at Club Soda

    Favorite easy things to cook:
  • Chili
  • Spaghetti (I never eat spaghetti in restaurants because I like my sauce much better)
  • Pot roast
  • Meatloaf
  • Soups

    Favorite not-so-easy things to cook:
  • Bread
  • Winter squash (cutting into and/or peeling the damn things is what's difficult)

An aside: I just realized I did not get enough zucchini this summer. I usually grow my own and am sick of it by August, but due to the room addition, I did not have much of a garden this year. Store bought zucchini is not the same. Note to self: Must plant zucchini next year. And tomatoes. And green beans. Successively.

Are there any foods I do not like? I've never developed a taste for organ meats, don't care for coconut meat but I like the milk, can't eat shellfish, not too fond of fish in general but I'll eat it on occasion.

What might I refuse to eat based solely on the taste? I can't think of anything offhand. What about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything that I won't eat because of taste, although texture will put me off certain foods. I don't care for anything gelatin, but I'll eat it if I have to to be polite. I also don't like anything that's too mushy, but weirdly, I do like that jello salad mold that has some type of whipped cream or sour cream in it, which makes it both gelatinous and mushy. I prefer that salad in green, which is the most disgusting of all jello colors. I can't explain it either.