Thursday, January 04, 2024

One ugly sushi boat

One of my complaints about the recent hand-building class I took was lack of oversight by the instructor, as she was busy working on her own stuff during the class. Maybe if she had been paying attention, she would have stopped me from doing this:

Before

After

The colors are okay, but what I did with them is ugh. If I had it to do over, I would have used underglaze on the imprints, then maybe glazed them with the Mayco 'Aurora Green', then glazed the whole thing with the Mayco 'Fossil Rock'.

The accompanying soy sauce bowl is a little better. Because it is so short, the Mayco 'Landslide' pretty much just flowed onto the Mayco 'Peppered Plum', but fortunately did not flow off the piece onto the kiln shelf.

Before

After

My SO and I glazed our bowls on New Year's Day (do we know how to have fun or what?) Mine is my last piece from the class. Going forward, I think my pottery posts will be more project-centric, assuming I remember to take photos and document what I am working on. My goal of reserving Wednesdays for clay-making already failed: I didn't sleep well Tuesday night, slept in Wednesday morning, walked the dogs, then took a long nap in the afternoon, so most of that day was shot. Better luck next week.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

Shelby Sherritt YouTube. Delightful. Informative. You and Shelby have something in common. You're both Inspiring me to get back into ceramics. In some form. High school, all aspects except poured molds. A
90's, painted/glazed poured mold objects.
I believe she started the mystery molds trend.