Sunday, December 31, 2023

Goals for 2024

I made an initial list of BIG goals I would like to accomplish regarding my pottery hobby for the coming year. I'm not sure how do-able they are, though. Maybe they should be a "wish list" instead.
  • Convert part of the garage into a studio
  • Buy a small kiln to salve my impatience
  • Convince my son-in-law to "store" the wheel and kiln he doesn't use in my new studio
I'm a little ADD, something I was able to label only recently; I used to think I was just weird. Over the years, I've developed strategies for dealing with this "character trait". A recent strategy is to assign certain tasks to certain days of the week. So now Wednesdays have become clay days. This allows me to make a mess on the breakfast bar and dining room table, then clean it up for the rest of the week. I'd like to stick to that plan, at least until that studio magically appears.

Even though I hand-build my pottery pieces, they seem to accumulate quickly. It's difficult to keep track of what I'm working on, what stage it is at, and where it is. I've created a spreadsheet to assist me, but that is only helpful if I keep it up to date. Ditto this blog.

How many vessels does one person need? Most pottery seems to concentrate on bowls, mugs, plates, pots, etc. It gets a little boring. I'd like to venture further afield and try my hand at other, non-vessel objects. Like koi?

That's three goals that are doable, although not very measurable. We'll see how they work out in 2024
  1. Reserve Wednesdays for pottery
  2. Document, document, document!
  3. Shift focus away from vessels
My granddaughter is on xmas vacation. She came over last Wednesday to play with tissue transfers. I had pictured us working side-by-side, but found that I could not concentrate on any of my projects while also helping her. And that's okay.


The past six or seven years have been tough - politics, the pandemic, wars, climate change, etc. I sense that 2024 is not going to be an improvement, but one can always hope for something good to happen. Happy New Year!

No comments: