Sunday, December 03, 2023

Class six

Our final hand-building class was this past week. The emphasis (for me) was on glazing. The brushes and glazes at the studio were not impressive, so I worked on a couple of pieces, then brought the others home.

Sushi boat

These went on the dipping dish

Dipping dish

Between the store owner's need to fire LOTS of pieces for upcoming shows and all the pending holiday gifts, the to-be-fired shelves were rather packed and some of my stuff did not get fired. But these two platters were done. I'm medium pleased with them.



And then I went shopping in the store which I'll detail later.

On the homefront, I did make some "cookies" for putting under objects with drippy glazes and some stars for ornaments (or whatever). The cookies don't need to be perfect, just flat. The plastic wrap under the star-shaped cookie cutter keeps the metal from sticking to the clay and makes a tidier edge.



I also carved some stamps, one with my initials, the other with a dog paw print. They need some more cleaning up, which isn't easy to do on such small items.


This piece was supposed to be a dog bowl, but the wall wasn't working for me, so now it is a random dish of some sort. After marring the surface with my fingers, I decided to go all the way and added the fluting and impressions to give it some interest and texture. (I don't have a decent banding wheel, so placing a piece on newsprint makes for an easy way to turn it.)


I "slumped" some clay over a bowl. (The nylon keeps the clay from sticking to the bowl as it shrinks.) This will be another popcorn bowl, but slab-built. I'm leaving its surface plain. I think. Until it is bisque-fired, I can change my mind.


Soon it will be a new year, which is the perfect time to make some changes. I think I will alter the format of my pottery posts so that I can show the steps of creating a piece all in one go. A separate document with all the little tips and tricks I pick up along the way might be helpful as well. And by "helpful", I mean helpful to me, so I don't have to search for information in the blog. Stay tuned!

No comments: