Sunday, November 26, 2023

Interim week

No class last week because of Thanksgiving. Instead, I got brave enough to try some more glazing, but only after consulting the combination examples on the Mayco site.

What I have is the Mayco Stoneware 2023 Glaze Kit, with samples of a dozen glazes. I wanted to try Amaryllis (SW-192) on the fish I made a while ago (and which I apparently never blogged about), but I didn't want it to be *all* Amaryllis. So I applied two coats of Sand Dollar (SW-196) on the head and fins, then two coats of the Amaryllis all over. Theoretically, the head and fins should turn out different from the body. We'll see! (The dark spots are crystals that should produce an interesting result.)


This piece is one of my watering devices. I plan to set it an inch or so into the soil of a potted plant. When I water the planter by pouring water into the fish mouth, the water should flow out the buried holes at the base. Ideally.

After watching a video provided by Amaco on layering PC-31 Oatmeal over PC-33 Iron Lustre, I glazed a couple of heavy mugs that I also never blogged about. The one on the left has three coats of Oatmeal over three coats of Iron Lustre, with the Oatmeal restricted to the top third of both the inside and outside of the mug. The one on the right is the opposite: three coats of Iron Lustre over three coats of Oatmeal, with the Iron Lustre on just the top third of the inside and outside, plus the heart.


I frequently fall down a rabbit hole of glaze combination posts on FB, where everyone seems to apply three coats of each glaze. Yet I'm a little worried about how much these glazes will run, so my next task is to make "cookies" or "biscuits" - disks of bisqueware to go under the pieces when they are glaze fired. The cookies will protect the kiln shelf from running glazes... I hope.

No comments: