Thursday, January 18, 2024

Dipping bowls

When I purchased a set of wood forms, I didn't think about how small the resulting objects would be. I thought they would be good for mini-experiments, and they are, up to a point. Per usual, most of the pottery I create is a learning experience.

I started by tracing the outline of each form onto a slab of clay (3/8" thick, I think). I applied the underglaze tissue pieces and wiped them down with a damp sponge before positioning the clay on a piece of foam rubber (purchased at Joann) and centering the wood form on the clay. A quick push downward created the shape. Only then did I remove the transfer.



These pieces are so small the cat underglaze tissue objects barely fit. Being a bit frugal, I cut out some of the half-cats along the paper's edge, then placed them so that they look like they are parading across the dish. I squeezed one cat onto the triangle piece.




The flamingos could not be snipped out individually, so I used the wood form to trace a shape for each of these. As an experiment, I applied pink underglaze before adding the transfer. I have to admit, I like the results.



These were all bisque fired, then I applied clear glaze to just the tops. In the future, I plan to apply the clear glaze all over, and use stilts to keep the pieces off the kiln shelf.








Even with the wood form, there is still a bit of wonkiness on the finished items.


One lesson I learned doing these is to smooth the edges of the slab *before* making the shape. Another lesson is to be more careful creating the shape to eliminate that wonkiness. Yet a third lesson: make sure most of the underglaze transfers from the paper to the clay. I purchased some other transfers, so plan to continue these experiments.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

My eyes like these. Thumbs-up