Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stuff

When I worked for a company that was big on diversity, we did not get MLK Day off.  This same company shares the name of a certain president, but we did not get Presidents Day off, either.  Now that I work for a Swiss company, I get both days off.  Much as I hate my job, I like my employer.

Last Monday I was busy doing those little things that I never seem to have the psychic energy to do at the end of the day.  Like clean off the coffee table.  And the diningroom table.  And the breakfast bar.  I also vacuumed.  Housework is one of those things that no one notices unless you don't do it.

I also bought some new shoes.  Over the years I have invested heavily in Earth shoes, for my back's sake.  But my back is much better while my satisfaction with the value of Earth shoes is much less.  So I decided to try something new.

Keen Presidio in walnut

These are both Keen shoes, two different styles but the same genre, purchased online from Planet Shoes (free shipping, fast service).  I wanted something kind of urban outdoorsie and these fit the bill.  Some of my friends favor Keens, so I was relatively sure of the quality.  And the price, while not great, was tolerable.

Keen Toyah in black

I haven't decided how much I like them.  For one thing, it feels weird to wear shoes with heels after years of that "negative heel technology".  Also, they feel stiff, especially the collars.  But - and this is a big plus - they make my big feet look smaller.  I don't know how, but they do.  And they are light weight, so I don't feel like I am clumping around in them.  I'll keep them.  We'll see if they get more comfortable with use.

Last Monday I also watched my granddaughter for a few hours in the evening.  The last few times I've had her, she has been fussy.  This time was much better.  She seemed interested in the music on the stereo, so held her in front of the speakers and we "danced" to Carly Simon and Conner Oberst.  By the time Carrie Newcomer started up, Baby N was asleep.  She slept through two episodes of "Law & Order: SVU" and probably would have dozed through a third, but her mommy came to get her.

You're so vain!

I don't watch much TV, but now that I have a Blu-ray and can stream Netflix right to my livingroom with just a few clicks of the remote, I am hooked on reruns of "L&O: SVU". I am about halfway through the first season. Interesting tidbit: One of the first season characters (who is already gone) is played by the same actor as that "mayhem like me" guy on the Allstate commercials. While streaming is fun and easy, I really, really, really hope Netflix does not stop offering DVDs because a lot of the movies I watch are not available to watch instantly. I am even willing to pay more than the stream-only customers.  And now I think I am.

No comments: