Thursday, January 27, 2011

I had BK, Betsy had morphine


Betsy likes to hang out at the front of the house while I shovel the driveway.  She scares up rabbits and follows their trails through the bushes and otherwise has a good time as only a beagle knows how to do.  Last Monday, once I finished with the snow, I found the front walk covered in blood.  It was surreal.  There was so much blood that at first I though Betsy had actually caught a rabbit and sacrificed it.  But no, her paw was bleeding.  By then, the bleeding had almost stopped.  I tried to see what the problem was, couldn't really tell, and since she wasn't limping, decided to just wait and see.

Tuesday Betsy seemed okay except she kept licking her paw and making it ooze and dribble, but it still did not seem to bother her much.  I washed it in warm water, poured peroxide over it, wrapped it up to protect the carpets, and continued to wait and see.

Wednesday I came home from work early because I was not feeling well.  Betsy's paw seemed worse.  Of course, her veterinarian is not open on Wednesday afternoons.  I debated whether to take her to the emergency clinic ($$$) and decided to wait until Thursday when we could visit her regular vet.

That's today.  We went to the vet this afternoon.  The bloodiness was due to one claw hanging by a few threads.  Dr. M offered to yank it off, but provided the option of morphine or no morphine.  Betsy  is so traumatized by each visit to the pet hospital that I opted for the morphine.  She is now virtually comatose, nothing like the picture above, which I took Tuesday.  She is also minus one claw.  It should grow back, eventually.  Meanwhile, she has some good drugs to sleep off.

Back to Wednesday, well, actually Tuesday night.  At yoga I felt less than energetic, but did not think too much of it, as I'm not a high energy person to begin with and I spend a lot of time sitting on my butt in front of a computer.  Wednesday morning I still did not feel very peppy, but I had not slept well, so again, I did not think too much of it.  At work, I developed a headache and figured it was due to lack of sleep.  Then I got the chills, but I am usually cold at work anyway.  Then I started salivating, the way one does prior to becoming nauseated.  I didn't throw up, but I did throw in the towel at noon.

The best thing about being sick now as opposed to being sick a month or so ago is, now I have a Blu-ray player.  I watched "The Kids Are All Right" (good but not a "must see" - why was it nominated for an Oscar?) and FIVE episodes from the first season of "Grey's Anatomy".  Five out of nine episodes.  The first season of Law & Order: SVU has 22 episodes.  Why the difference?  Inquiring minds want to know.

And today?  I feel fine.

* * * * * * * * * * 

This evening I saw a Smart Car with the vanity plate "9VOLT".

No comments: