Friday, October 20, 2023

Class one

Well, *that* was different. In a good way.

Most beginning pottery classes go through making pinch pots, coil pots, and slab pots. In our first class at FW Clay, we started forming clay for rollers and stamps and prepping clay for kurinuki. I've tried kurinuki before, with some success. I'm eager to learn how to do better (especially not carve so deep there is a hole in the bottom.)

Yes, that pot is a bit wonky

The price of the class includes 25 pounds of clay and our choice of a book on hand-building. I chose Pinch Your Pot: The Art and Craft of Making Pinch Pots, by Jacqui Atkin. I have learned something new about pinching pots just by glancing through the early pages. My SO chose a different book, Hand Built: A Potter's Guide, by Melissa Weiss. We can share.

I'm stoked.

No comments: