Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Dog centric

Some dog owners like to refer to themselves as "dog moms". That is not my way, but I am discovering that just like people moms, dog moms are apparently open to criticism regarding their "parenting".

I use an e-collar as a training tool. I have been trained in how to use it. I have tested it on myself; it does not shock but tingles, like a TENS unit. I don't use it as a correction for bad behavior, but as a "nudge" for each command. At a low setting, it says "listen". When there are distractions, I turn it up so that it says "HEY! LISTEN TO ME!" The higher settings are startling but not painful.

I work with my dogs everyday to promote good behavior. I use the lowest setting possible to get a positive result. When there are a lot of distractions, it sometimes takes a bit of trial and error to find the right setting, which results in the dog yelping. I try to avoid this as much as possible but it happens.

I have had Watson for about a year. In that time, I tried several methods of training, but the quickest, most effective one was the e-collar. He now is a joy to walk... unless another dog appears on the scene. He likes other dogs, but when on leash, suffers from "frustration aggression" - he snaps and growls and barks and sounds quite vicious. In group training classes, he is fine; the problem occurs when we are out and about. I am working on this issue, but it is difficult during the winter when most people are not out walking their dogs.

I have had Clio for about six months. She has an exuberant personality and lots of energy. She walks on leash relatively well, but when a person or another dog appears, she acts as though they are her new BFF. She wants to play and jump, but she is too big to be allowed to do this. In group training classes, she is fine; the problem occurs when we are out and about. She needs to learn to be around other dogs without going bananas.

There is a group here in town that has weekly "pack walks". I thought that would be a great opportunity to work with my dogs, so I took Clio to one about ten days ago. In retrospect, I should have walked her ahead of the pack, as it is easier to urge her on rather than hold her back. But we trailed the pack, and I struggled to get her to "listen" to the e-collar and stop pulling. Inevitably, the e-collar was set too high, as distractions waxed and waned, and she yelped a couple of times.

The following weekend, the pack did not walk (too cold - damn weather). But the group admin and I had a lengthy exchange on FB Messenger regarding my training methods. It did not grow heated - I tried to educate her on her misconceptions - but in the end, I felt unwelcome (even though the group promotes itself as "non-judgmental"). Apparently, there is also an application to join the group (which states e-collars are allowed on walks although the admin said they weren't), but this is not clear from their FB page. I ended the exchange by suggesting Clio was not ready for pack walks yet.

I'm not one of those laissez faire dog owners who let their dogs do whatever. Frequently when I am out with the dogs, I get complements on their behavior. They are challenging and have made great improvements in the time I have had them, but sometimes all other people see is their bad behavior. Or what they deem as MY bad behavior.

The dog trainer I use has monthly pack walks, so I will take my dogs there. I also got passes to the city dog parks, where they can run off steam. The e-collars are very useful there, as I can get the dogs' attention across a crowded field. I am also working with my dogs there, where distractions are high. Still, I'm disappointed that the weekly pack walks did not pan out.

Of course, I could still show up, but not walk with them, just be near them, while I continue to work with my dogs. Or would that be passive aggressive?

Practicing "place" at the dog park

No comments: