Sunday, October 26, 2008

Vacation Randomness

My son and I used to watch "Hoosier Millionaire" just to see how close the host came to insulting the contestants. One contestant stood out, a woman who had moved from West Virginia to Terre Haute. When asked how she liked Terre Haute, she replied, "Shore. Is. Fast. Paced."

Last Monday we passed through Terre Haute on our way to Giant City State Park in southern Illinois. It is bigger than I expected. There was an electronic sign near the road construction in Terre Haute. All I caught of the message was "CHOOSE ANOTHER ROUTE". Were they talking about the traffic jam we hit outside Mt. Vernon?

My SO's hobby is photography, something you cannot tell from the following picture of my son and me that he took with my point-and-shoot camera. (Please ignore my codpiece.)



Can you see the family resemblance?

Since we were so close to the Mississippi River, we spent an hour or so trying to find it. We knew we were close but could not find a way to access it until we got to Grand Tower. The Mississippi is pretty unspectacular at this point, sort of like Tower Rock.



While driving around looking for the Mississippi, we passed through many towns where I am guessing the local population bitterly clings to their religion and guns. Or maybe not so bitterly.



"Hooked on quack." "If it flies, it dies." "Duck Busters."

Giant City includes a stable and offers trail rides. I briefly flirted with the idea of spending an hour in the saddle, but decided these aging hips were not up to it.



Every - and I mean every - time we walked into the dining room, Ernest fooled me.



As you can see, I can't operate my camera any better than my SO can.

No comments: