Monday, May 28, 2007

At Least the Music Was Good

When I selected "Just an American Boy" from Netflix, I thought I knew a little bit of something about Steve Earle, or at least his music. Not much of the music in this so-called documentary was familiar to me, but it (the music) was good ol' rock 'n roll, plus a little blue grass, which I really enjoyed.

The documentary was not so good, though. My impression was that a lot of film was exposed (and not very well), then edited by a 13-year-old with new film editing software. At first, the graphic phantasmagoria was annoying, then a source of amusement, and finally a giggle fest.

And there was no storyline to speak of. Yes, Earle is against capital punishment, as am I, but we don't share motivation. Earle doesn't want blood on his hands, and he identifies with the perpetrators in a there-but-for-the-grace-of-God-go-I sort of way.

No comments: