Sunday, December 10, 2023

Deja vu all over again

We stopped at FW Clay this past Thursday afternoon, to drop off my latest bowl and the fluted dish. Alas, the only one of my pieces that had reached the kiln was a pinched pumpkin I made in class a couple of weeks ago. The whole setup needs some organization, and the staff needs some training, as they seemed rather flustered with my requests. Also, they didn't want me adding anything to the to-be-fired shelves, as that is now apparently against the rules?

It's easy for me to get upset about these delays, especially since I was hoping for a better experience than I had at the maker space. As I see it, here are my options:
  • Find a new place to fire
  • Buy my own kiln
  • Chill out
For now, I'm going to chill out. I'm also going to create a spreadsheet so I can keep track of which pieces are at what stage in the process.

As promised, here is a rundown of my latest purchases at FW Clay:

I've already used this trimming tool, and it is the berries. It is also a much better tool for kurinuki.

Trimming tool

Some underglaze transfers:

Elan underglaze transfer - Flamingos

Elan underglaze transfer - cats

More glazes. I am building quite a glaze stash.

Mayco glazes in Stoned Denim and Green Tea
An anvil is used to quickly form small bowls. I'll show you how at a later date.

Anvil - assembled

Anvil - disassembled

Of course, some pottery tools may be made with whatever you have on hand. In this case, I used a paper towel tube and a bamboo skewer to make a tool for marking an even edge on a bowl.

Homemade marking tool

More stuff arrived yesterday from the Ceramic Shop. I'll "unwrap" those items at a later date.

No comments: