Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ketchup

Let's see... what has happened since the last time I posted?

I am up to eleven friends on Facebook. One is a friend from college fighting stage III breast cancer. (BTW - see link to Army of Women on the right.) One is a semi-friend from college who has potential as a new fiber fiend. Several are former co-workers. One is my SO, who posted the funniest profile photo I have ever seen. Every time I look at it, I laugh. Every time I think of it, I laugh. I call it "Portrait of the Artist as a Curmudgeon" because he has this angry philosopher look on his face. When he explained that the camera went off while he was trying to see if it was time to smile, I laughed until I cried.

My month-long spending ban is still in effect until next weekend, when I plan to apply for a passport and upgrade my cell phone. I didn't do too bad - the only non-essentials I purchased were a couple of used books.

My bladder infection is gone, although it felt like it was coming back. That or I was developing ovarian cancer. Have you noticed that many of the symptoms of diseases are everyday things like lower back pain and fatigue? If unintentional weight loss is on the list, though, I know I am safe.

Speaking of weight loss, some study has arrived at the conclusion that the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. Duh. The tricky part is figuring out a successful way to do that. Along with a zillion other people on the Web, I have been making lifestyle adjustments. For one thing, I have committed to attending yoga class twice a week. If the weather would cooperate, I would walk more, too. Another modification is eliminating flour and sugar from my diet. This is not such a big stretch for me, but so far, it has not resulted in any weight loss, so I am also dropping potatoes and popcorn. Given my penchant for salty snacks, no chips or fries will be a big deal.

And speaking of bladders, my stepmother's surgeon is sending her to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles "down there". He says it may take as long as a year to "get dry" but she can do it. Maybe if she is successful, she will try PT for her back pain.

I have been busier at work, which is a good thing. I've been cooking more, also a good thing but a time suck, especially the cleaning up. I'm thinking it would be nice to make a trip to the beach, any beach, and meditate to the sound of the waves. Picture downward dog in the sand.

What have you been up to?

No comments: